Chancellor's Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Information Report: 2016-2017

How does the school know if a student needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have SEND?

The SEND Code of Practice 0-25 (2014) states that a child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of other of the same age
  • Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for other of the same age in mainstream schools

The Department for Education has defined four types of SEND:

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and learning
  • Social, mental and emotional health
  • Sensory or physical

Students are identified as having SEND through a variety of ways, including:

  • Liaison with previous school (including end of KS information)
  • Baseline assessments (including CATs, reading comprehension, single word spelling)
  • Progress data
  • Concerns raised by parents, carers or teachers
  • Reports and information from outside professionals

Students who are identified as having SEND will be included on the school’s SEND register and Inclusion Register. Parents and carers will be informed of this. This information is also available to all teachers and support staff.

The School’s SENCo can be contacted directly by email:

How will school staff support my child?

Subject teachers are responsible for the progress of students in their lessons. They are trained to teach students with a range of additional learning needs and are responsible for making the curriculum accessible to all students.

The SENCo is responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy
  • Co-ordinating all the support for children with SEND
  • Providing support for teachers and support staff to ensure that they are aware of individual students’ needs
  • Liaising with stakeholders, professionals and outside agencies, e.g. speech and language therapists, educational psychologists

How will I know how my child is doing?

Close links between home and school are encouraged in many different ways:

  • Students’ progress in continually monitored by their classroom
  • Progress reports are sent home on a termly basis
  • Parents’ consultation meetings are held on an annual basis for parents to meet with subject teachers
  • The progress of students with statement/EHC plans are reviewed at annual review meetings organised by the SENCo with parents, student and relevant outside agencies attending
  • The progress of students on the SEND register is regularly monitored by the SENCo

How will the learning and development provision be matched to my child’s needs?

Subject teachers and support staff will make reasonable adjustments by differentiating in a number of ways including:

  • Visual, auditory or kinaesthetic activities
  • Scaffolding activities
  • Small group work
  • Providing additional apparatus or materials
  • Personalised and targeted support
  • Adapted resources and materials
  • Specialist intervention groups

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

The overall wellbeing of all students is supported in many ways, including:

  • How to Thrive lessons in year 7-9 which cover a range of PSHE topics and include the Penn Resilience Programme in year 7
  • Support from form tutors, heads of year and pastoral teams
  • Access to school counsellor
  • Peer mentoring
  • Support from teaching assistants

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

The SENCo liaises with many specialist services and outside agencies to ensure that the provision in place in appropriate to meet individual needs. The school works closely with many external professionals including:

  • Health – GPs, school nurse, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS), paediatricians, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists
  • Children services – locality teams, social workers, child protection teams, educational psychology team
  • Specialist teachers – hearing and visual impairment, physical disabilities, communication disorders team
  • SEND team and the officers

What training is available for staff to support students with SEND?

All teachers are teachers of SEND and so regular training and updates is part of the school’s regular CPD (continuing professional development). All teaching and support staff have access to training that is relevant for them, based on the needs of the students currently in school.

How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

Support for parents includes:

  • Each student has a school planner, this travels between home and school every day so that comments can be shared and followed up on
  • Teachers are available to discuss students’ progress or any other concerns parents may have about their child
  • The SENCo can be contacted by parents to discuss their child’s progress and any strategies that might be needed to support in meeting their additional needs
  • A home school contact book may be used to support communication with parents
  • Specific curriculum information is available from subject teachers

How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

Parents/ carers will be involved with the planning of their child’s education in a number of ways, including:

  • Meetings as and when needed with subject teachers to discuss progress and relevant strategies
  • Meetings as and when needed with SENCo to discuss progress and relevant strategies
  • Annual review meetings for students with statements/EHC plans involving outside agencies when relevant

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

All students are entitled to be included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all students to be included on school trips. Where necessary, appropriate provision and reasonable adjustments will be made. A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off-site activity to ensure that everyone’s health and safety is not compromised.

How accessible is the school environment?

The school is on a large site with building of one or two stories. Close liaison between the SENCo and the faculties to ensure all efforts are made to achieve accessibility for all students within the school. Resources and teaching are differentiated according to individual students’ needs.

Who can I contact for further information?

The school’s SENCo can be contacted by telephone, through the school office or by email on

How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

The school supports students joining Chancellor’s in a number of ways:

  • Transition from the feeder primary school is carefully planned
  • All students who accept a place at Chancellor's School, visit 3 times in the summer term, they spend a day at the intake day, they attend a Saturday morning to sit the cognitive ability tests and attend an 15 minute interview with their parents
  • The Head of Year 7 works closely with the SENCo to visit primary schools and meet the students, gathering their strengths and background information
  • Teachers are provided with information about all new students’ needs, strengths and background at the beginning of a new academic year
  • The first day of the school year in September is just for year 7 giving them opportunity to settle before the whole school returns
  • The SENCo arranges for additional transition visits for vulnerable groups and individual students

The school supports KS3-4 and KS4-5 transition in a number of ways:

  • During year 9, the SENCo liaises closely with relevant staff to ensure that the KS4 curriculum is suited to the individual students with SEND and that they are supported to make good choices
  • Students are assessed for examination access arrangements at the end of year 9, liaising with parents and subject teachers to ensure that students are accurately identified
  • Students in KS4 meet with the school’s careers adviser to support them with their post 16 choices
  • Students with EHC plans meet with a personal adviser from Connexions to support them with their ost 16 choices

The school supports students joining Chancellor's School in year in a number of ways:

  • Liaison with previous school
  • Liaison with parents about their needs and provision
  • A student ‘buddy’ is chosen to support the new student to settle in for the first week

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s SEND?

The school budget ensures funding for supporting children with SEND. In consultation with the SENCo and Governing Body, the Headteacher decides on the deployment of resources for SEND.

How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

Provision is put in place to meet students’ needs, within the resources available. The SENCo consults with subject teachers, Heads of Year, parents, support staff and external agencies to discuss a students’ needs and appropriate support. This is reviewed regularly in the light of student progress and amended where necessary to ensure the best possible outcomes for all students.

How can I find information about the local authority’s Local Offer of services and provision for children and young people with SEND?

The Local Offer is designed to improve choice and transparency for families. It is an important resource for parents to support them in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area. This can be found on the school’s website.