Frequently Asked Questions

What opportunities are there to visit the school?

There will be an Open Evening for prospective students and parents on Thursday 21st September. The Headteacher, Mr D Croston, will speak in the hall at 6:10, 7:00 and 7.45pm

Tours of the school during a normal working day will take place from 25th – 29th September.

For further details and to arrange an appointment please contact the school office on 01707 650702.

When and how can I apply?

Supplementary Information Forms (SIFs) can be completed online or returned to the School by hand or by post from the beginning of the Autumn Term.

You MUST also obtain, complete and return your own Local Authority Common Application Form (CAF) to your own Local Authority which is usually made available to you by your child's primary school.

Please contact your own Local Authority if you have any questions regarding this. If you live in Hertfordshire you are encouraged to apply online at

The closing date for the completion online or return of our supplementary information form (SIF) and your own local authority common application form (CAF) is Saturday 31st October 2017

Do I have to return the Supplementary Information Form (SIF) or can I just apply using the Local Authority Common Application Form?

Completing the SIF is not compulsory but is strongly recommended as it gives the school information that is needed to assess the priority that is to be given under some of our criteria. If the form is not completed, the application will be assessed using only the information included in the Local Authority Common Application Form (CAF) and children may be disadvantaged as a result. Completion of the SIF is essential for those children who wish to take the Musical Aptitude Test.

Can I apply under more than one criteria?

Applicants are welcome to apply under one or more of our listed criteria.

If I rank Chancellor's as my second or third preference on the Secondary Authority Application Form, does that lessen my chances of getting into the school?

The ranking that you put on the Local Authority Common Application Form (CAF) is not passed on to any individual school. We allocate places solely on our admission criteria. However, be aware that you will only receive one offer via your Local Authority and preferences ranked lower than the school offered will automatically be withdrawn. It is therefore very important that you rank schools according to your true preference.

We are moving into the area will you process our application from our new address?

We can only consider your child's permanent address as at 31st October 2017. If your move is imminent and you are able to provide us with a letter from a solicitor, or other suitable professional or official, confirming the date of your move and we may consider a slight variation to this date. Further proof of address will be required once your move is completed.

Are there 'feeder' schools whose pupils take priority?

Places are allocated on a percentage basis to 17 local feeder primary Schools.

Are any places allocated according to proximity to the school?

Any remaining places will be allocated by proximity to the School using the "shortest designated route" from each applicant's home to the nearest designated entrance of the School.

How is the geographical/distance criterion measured, i.e. as the "crow flies" or shortest walking distance?

Hertfordshire County Council has changed its method of measuring home-school distance for admission allocation purposes. Distance will be measured along a straight line between a child's address and the School.

Distances are measured using a computerised mapping system to two decimal places. This is an objective method of measuring home-school distances when applying admission rules. It does not take into account the actual or expected route a child will travel.

Please refer to for more information.

Do you carry out address checks on those applying under "proximity to the school" criteria?

The Governors take their duty to ensure that our admission rules are applied fairly, and that these comply with The Department for Education School Admissions Code, very seriously. All addresses are checked to ensure that applications are genuine and relate to the permanent address of the prospective student. These checks may include verification by the Local Authority and the current primary school. The Governors will withdraw places or offers of places if fraudulent, incorrect or misleading information is given.

If you have proof of fraudulent, misleading or incorrect information having been given to the school please forward this to us to allow the school to investigate.

What is the situation if my eldest child is a current pupil but will have left the school by the time my younger child would be due to start?

It is no longer possible for applicants to apply under the sibling criteria if the eldest child will no longer be enrolled at the school at the date of the applicant's admission, i.e. is currently in Year 13, or the older sibling has already indicated that he/she will not be attending the school at the date of admission of the younger sibling. This is a directive within The Department for Education School Admissions Code which came into force on 1st February 2012 and affects all schools equally.

When is the Music Aptitude Test?

Musical Aptitude Tests will take place on Tuesday 20th June (written), Tuesday 27th June (performance), there will a reserve date available on Friday 30th June (both written and performance). Anyone wishing to apply under this criterion must complete the online Supplementary Information Form (SIF) to the School by Wednesday 24th May 2017. There will be a further opportunity for late applicants to sit Musical Aptitude Tests on the Saturday 23rd September. Their applications and SIF must be returned to the school by Friday 22nd September, the day after the school's Open Evening.

What about going to Appeal?

If we are unable to offer you a place this will usually be because we are oversubscribed. You do have a statutory right to appeal to an independent appeals panel for a place for your child. Should you wish to appeal please contact the Admissions Officer and the relevant information and paperwork will be forwarded to you.